Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Meet the New Panty Peeler




So if you're a fan of Midnight Sun brews (and what craft beer drinker on The Last Frontier isn't?), you might have noticed a change in the label of their excellent Belgian-style Tripel. Formerly known as Epluche-culotte (French for Panty Peeler), Midnight Sun has decided that an English name would be more appropriate. Easier for the tourists to pronounce, anyway.

Of more interest than the name change, the brewery has also tweaked the recipe slightly, returning (I'm told) to an older version. Given that I loved Epluche-culotte, I was more than a little concerned about the change. However, now that I've had a chance to taste the latest version, my worries have been assuaged. The differences are there, but they are subtle. I'd say a slightly greater emphasis on the spicy notes (from the increased orange peel & coriander) and a slight reduction in hop bitterness. Nothing that would make me stop drinking one of my favorite beers. As for which is better, I haven't decided. I need to have a couple of friends over and go through a couple of 22 0z bombers side by side. Perhaps this weekend...

No comments: