Thursday, July 10, 2008

And So It Begins...

Well, hello there, whoever you are. I'm going to give this blogging thing a try. And if I'm going to be doing a lot of writing, I'm going to write about something I like: BEER!

And not just any beer, but good craft beer. Craft beer that's available to me, living on The Last Frontier, here in Alaska. It's actually amazing how much great beer is available here in Alaska. For example, I live on the Kenai Peninsula, which is the size of New Jersey, but only has 50,000 folks living on it. But these folks have 3 microbreweries and a brewpub to enjoy. That's a craft brewery for every 12, 500 people. Do the math on your state or city and I'll guarantee we've got you beat! If the rest of the USA had the same ratio, there would be about 28,000 micros and brewpubs in the US. (The actual number is about 1500).

So proportionately we're in great shape, but that's not all. We've also got lots of award-winning breweries up here. Alaskan Brewing Company, Midnight Sun Brewing Company, Moose's Tooth Brewpub, Kassik's Kenai Brewstop, and more. In my next post, I'm going to talk about some of the brews that I'm drinking up here.

Until then, cheers!

No comments: