Friday, August 16, 2013

Festival Hangover

Photo courtesy of Elaine Howell
Well, we had another wonderful beer festival here in Soldotna last weekend.  For a general description of the 3rd Annual Kenai Peninsula Beer Festival, I'll refer you to my article in this week's Redoubt Reporter, which you can read by clicking here. There  were several breweries from across the state who had previously planned to attend but didn't actually make it to the festival: Seward Brewing Company, HooDoo Brewing Company, 49th State Brewing Company, Arkose Brewery, & Last Frontier Brewing Company.  In each case the problem was a shortage of available beer, after a long and unusually hot and sunny summer.  Still, there was lots of good beer on offer from the breweries that did make it, along with the beers being poured by the four distributors.  I don't yet have a figure from the Rotary of how much money was raised by the Festival, but as soon as I do, I'll pass it along.

JOB OPPORTUNITY: If you live in the local area and are interested in working in a brewery, Kassik's Brewery is looking to hire a part-time entry-level Brewery Assistant.  You must be 21, have or be willing to obtain a DEC food worker's card, able to lift 55 pounds to shoulder height repeatedly on occasion, be able to be on your feet for long shifts, and be willing to work early morning, late night, and weekends shifts.  The position will start with keg cleaning and keeping the warehouse and other parts of the brewery clean.  If you're interested, apply in person at the brewery.

La Bodega has announced the details of this year's Bodega-Fest.  Here's the poster for it:

Click to enlarge



Once again, please note the venue change.  This year's event will by in Cuddy Park, not Kincaid Park where last year's took place.  It should be a great time, if you can be in Anchorage on Saturday, September 14th.

Up at 49th State Brewing, they are having a Rare Keg Beer Showcase, featuring some exceptional beers that Jay Bullen and David McCarthy brought back from their winter travels in Europe.  Here's the poster describing what's on offer:

Click to enlarge

 I've had several of these brews myself in the past and they are truly exceptional, especially the Gouden Carolus "Cuvee van de Kaizer Blauw" (see my review of the bottled version on 2/8/2013).



King Street Brewing Company has a Jack Daniels barrel-aged version of their Chocolate Coconut Porter on tap.  Stop by and try it this weekend, as it's sure to go quickly!

Midnight Sun Brewing Company's Joan of Arctic Ale has been released in bottles. See my 6/14/2013 blog for details on this collaboration brew.



This Saturday, August 17th at 6 pm, Moose's Tooth in Anchorage will be holding their 17th Anniversary Party.  The band O.A.R. will be providing the music.  So if you're in Anchorage tomorrow evening, you should consider dropping by for the celebration. 

It's been a busy week for me (hence the short blog) so I only have one beer review.  I dipped into my cellar and recovered a bottle of Deschutes' Black Butte XXI.  It had a "Best After" date of 10/17/2010.  I reviewed a bottle of this beer back on 8/23/2011, so I was curious what impact another two years in the cellar might have. Comparing my tasting notes between now and two years ago, the only difference I noted was a slight drop in the amount of roastiness in the aroma; otherwise, they were pretty much a carbon copy.  However, I don't think I would cellar this brew any longer, if you still have any.  I doubt it will improve any further, and might start to deteriorate in the near future.  Since this was my last bottle of the XXI, that won't be a problem for me!

Well, that's it for this week.  As I said, a short blog this week do to being very busy.  More beer reviews and news next week.

Until Next Time, Cheers!

No comments: