Monday, February 9, 2009

Can You Say Wee Heavy?

As any of you who are regular readers of the drivel I spew regularly in this blog know, my favorite style of beer is a Strong Scotch Ale, known in its homeland as a Wee Heavy. Not to be confused with its weaker cousin, the Scottish Ale, a Strong Scotch weighs in somewhere to the north of 6.5% ABV and is definitely a sipping beer rather than a session one.

So imagine my excitement when I stopped by Kenai River Brewing last Thursday to have a word with Brewer Doug and saw that he had a brand new Wee Heavy on tap! Talk about serendipity! Of course I had to grab a liter of it to take home with me and drink over the weekend. I didn't get any of the specifics from Doug about the beer (ABV, IBUs, etc), but I found it to be perfectly in keeping with the style, having a strong malt backbone matched with very restrained levels of bitterness. Given my predeliction for the style, I found it dangerously drinkable!

So now we here on the Kenai are blessed with not one but two excellent Wee Heavies, as Frank Kassik continues to brew his award-winning Carribou Kilt Strong Scotch. Not to mention my own homebrew take on the style, which isn't half bad, if I do say so myself.

Besides their Wee Heavy, Kenai River is also pouring the next beer in their Single Hop IPA series, which uses Galcier hops. I haven't had a chance to try this one yet, but I plan to this week. I also got to meet Joe, Kenai River's new Assistant Brewer. Welcome, Joe!

Finally, a note about future postings. My lovely wife Elaine and I will be celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary next week by travelling to Hawaii, so I will not be blogging for a couple of weeks. Expect a new post in the first week of March.

Until then, Cheers!

No comments: